Sunday 28 April 2013

Sunday Zine Review #82: Adventitious 01


Today's second review, Adventitious 01, is a very special one. Mariya Ustymenko and Carlos Cancela Pinto, the editors of Adventitious, contacted me a few months ago to see if I would be interested in participating in a zine they were putting together. They asked me if I'd like to set a brief for a new photography zine and I agreed, of course.

Adventitious 01 is the result to my brief: HOME. When Mariya and Carlos messaged me, I had decided to finish my series "I used to live here" a couple of months before that. "I used to live here" is a collection of memories from all the places I lived from 2009 until 2012. During that time, I moved cities and even countries a few times and the word "home" had somehow lost its meaning to me. 

Adventitious 01 showcases four photography series by Mariya Ustymenko, Carlos Cancela Pinto, Marija Strajnic and Carla Andrade. Each of this series is a response to the word "home" and what it represents to these artists.

The result is beautiful and I love how each of these artists has decided to give their own meaning to the brief. Carla has shot some stunning landscapes of her hometown in northern Spain, Carlos explains how the notion of "home" has changed from a place to a way of living, Marija has decided to portray and classify her personal belongings based on the type of object and colour, and Mariya has captured the light of her new home in East Anglia, far away from her native Kiev.

I'd like to thank Mariya and Carlos for all their hard work and really hope to see a new brief and second issue of Adventitious soon! If you'd like to purchase a copy of the first issue and support this project, you can do it here.

*You can check all the previous reviews here and follow Sunday Zine Review on FB. If you want to get your zine reviewed, leave a comment below or drop me a message to igortermenon@gmail.com*



No comments: